Thursday, February 3, 2011

Rainy Days in combat

Rainy days in a combat zone can be many things. Just like back home, they have their place in the world. Rainy days at the right time can help you get some peaceful sleep at night, the rain drops on the tent, lulling you into a stupor. Rainy days can also complicate things, make everything muddy, harder to see, and slower to get the job done. One thing rainy days do in combat though is prove how hard our Soldiers are and what they can accomlish despite adversity. Soldiers still pull guard, man their weapons, and remain vigilant. Our ability to fight in any condition is what keeps us ahead of the enemy. With the weather the other night, one of the Soldiers asked if we would still shoot one of our fire missions...
"Hell yeah!" was my reply.
"But, Sir, isn't that dangerous? Couldn't the round drift somewhere it's not supposed to?"
"Artillery is an all-weather weapon system...we're not the Air Force. We're going to shoot, and we're going to do it to make sure they know we can."

It's times like that when I love being an Artilleryman. Guys out there, manning the guns, putting rounds out no matter what.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sound like my husband. He was FA for the past four years, and he use to make the same comments about the Air Force. Now he's learning how to be Finance. I kid him that he's now part of the "Chair Force".

Anyway, I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. I look forward to reading more about your deployment!