Today I decided to give myself a haircut for the first time in a while. I think I did a pretty decent job, if I do say so myself! Other people seem to think it's alright too (I asked to make sure):) I was going to just shave it off, but decided to try and make it look presentable first. It's not so easy doing it with a delapidated mirror made out of a shiny medal that they put up in the shower tent. I asked one of the guys to make sure I didn't miss any spots in the back like I usually do. He said there was only one spot, so I fixed that and I will post a picture when possible.
I was getting a little nervous about laundry since I haven't had a chance to clean any of my clothes since we got here, but then I found another bag I had packed with more underwear and t-shirts in it, so I'll be good for a while. It's always key to know how many more days you can go without needing to do laundry! The turn around time on laundry is 3 days here, and since I haven't known how long we'll be here, I can't feel comfortable turning in laundry. Hopefully the next place will have do it yourself washer and dryers!
If you are reading this and your Soldier has not been through BAF yet, tell them NOT to waste money on the pay WIFI. It works okay from what I've heard, but has a bunch of connection issues and you have to let them configure settings on your laptop (which I'm wicked skeptical of). Plus, this place is here and free, and with a little effort, there are other places on the main part of the FOB too.
I tell you what has been incredibly comforting so far this deployment has been how great Porter seems to be handling it and how Robyn is helping him with it. Robyn told me about their night last night. She went out to eat with her friend and their little girls Sidney and Amelia. She said that when Amelia saw Porter they had the best conversation:
Amelia: "Porter, where's your daddy?"
Porter: "hmmph, he's at work..."
Amelia: "Aww, my daddy is at work too."
Robyn: "Porter do you know where he is at work?"
Porter: "hmmm...aww, I forgot."
Robyn: "He's in Afghanistan right?"
Porter to Amelia: "Oh yeah, my daddy is at work in Af...gan..istan"
Amelia: "oh, yeah. My daddy is at work in the woods."

Those two kids are so darn cute together. I can't even tell you.
I thought I would add in some pictures of the two of them that I was able to find on Facebook. I know there are some better ones out there of the two of them that Robyn has taken, but I don't have access to them. Just know that they're wicked cute.
Robyn tells me that Porter is doing very well understanding that I have to be here to stop the bad guys and that he doesn't really question why. She said that when he starts to get sad about it, he colors me pictures, or she'll play my voice from some recordings I did on her phone before I left, and that cheers him up:) I have been blessed to have a truly remarkable wife like Robyn who has supported me through so much in my life.
Okay, I think that's enough random spewing from my stream of consciousness for today. Hopefully if you're reading, you're not bored yet. In any matter, it keeps me busy enough not to worry about too much and kills some time.
3 comments:
Greg always tries to cut his hair, too, and even with a real mirror it's generally a disaster. You must have some real skillz.
That photo of Porter and Amelia where he's pushing the stroller in his Batman suit? Come on, dude. Come on. Too. Much.
Joe, We are praying for you and your family. Many blessings,
PJ Portis-Burton (Stoney's sister)
Megan,
I've been working on it since West Point...the first few ended up in buzz cuts...and of course, I have WAY less hair than Greg:)
PJ, thanks so much! Good to hear from you:)
Post a Comment