Monday, January 17, 2011

Working out at elevation

Not much going on since the last post, but thought I would share the struggles of working out (or rather trying to breathe) at elevation. You see, I have had experience with this in the past...while stationed at Colorado Springs we were roughly at the same elevation as here. Unfortunately, my body does not remember that experience well enough to be able to breathe properly here. I did have a pretty good run though: started out running the first quarter mile warm up around 8 mph and then kicked it up to 8.6 (less than 7 min mile pace) for the next two miles. After that I kicked it up again to 9.0 for a half mile, and then slowly increased the pace over the next half mile up to 10.0. After I had run 3.5 miles I brought it back down to 8.0 for a quarter mile and then finished out the last quarter mile going from 9.0 again back up to 10.0 to finish off. I tried to go a little faster than 10, but the machine couldn't go any faster than 10.1 or 10.2 because the motor is worn out. By the time I was finished, my head felt like exploding and my lungs burned like I just got out of the CS gas chamber. I had to walk for another quarter mile to get my breathing right before going to finish up the workout with some curls and abs.

Something frustrating that has happened the last few times I've been exercising my abs is like a severe cramp that completely causes my ab muscle to seize up for a minute or two. It feels like someone shocked the heck out of it and it hurts like crazy and makes it so I can't get a really good ab workout. I've tried stretching it out and drinking lots of water...I'm hoping with a little more rest it will start to get better soon. I just don't know if I might have torn something. Anyways, that's pretty much what I've done today.

I have been playing a LOT of PSP, specifically the game "Burnout Legends". It's a racing game that Megan got me for Christmas. I have an insatiable need to beat the game...and it is taking forever. Anyways, something cool about the PSP that I found out with another Soldier is that you can create an Ad Hoc peer to peer network and play the same game in multiplayer. So, I found a guy with the same game and we were able to race each other...just helps pass the time and add some competition.

I know this is an incredibly boring and not though provoking post. I apologize. Hopefully once I'm at my FOB there will be more interesting things to ramble about.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I KNEW THAT GAME DIDN'T SUCK!!!!!! Ha! Greg gave me a snide look when I showed it to him because he had never heard of it. SUCKA! I win!!!

(Oh, also: I'm glad you like it.)