Friday, October 24, 2008

Another sandy day in Iraq

Hi everyone,

I woke up a little later than the past couple weeks today because I'm changing my shift a couple hours later every day until I'm on the night shift so I can help plan for coming home. Because I was on Rear Detachment I have a lot of knowledge about getting home, and because there's not a whole lot for me to do with Artillery right now, I told them I would help out. Of course, they gladly accepted, so we'll see how that goes. On the positive side of things, it should help make it so in my off time, it lines up better with being able to talk to Robyn and P-nut, so that's cool:) I got a really nice card from Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas two days ago and need to get on writing them a reply note. It's nice to hear from people that I don't normally get to hear from. That's one of the interesting things that a couple guys and I were discussing the other night. It's just neat how sometimes the most unexpected people that you normally don't talk to at all or hear from while you're home in the states will pick up writing to you or sending you things while you're over here. It happens to almost every Soldier I've talked to. My boss' aunt is the one that sends him something almost every week or so. Just one of those things I guess. I got a package from Robyn yesterday:) It was really nice of her and had some stuff that was good to get. The hard part for her is that I really don't need anything here. The Army does a good job in making sure that I don't want for anything while I'm here. So, with that said...for those of you who would like to send me a package...instead, the next time you get the inclination, please go buy Porter a book or coloring book, or just forget about going shopping and send what you would have spent so Robyn can get him something the next time she's out from you. I just don't need anything here. I would still love to hear from you all in the form of letters or emails though, so feel free!

I know Robyn has been crazy busy back home fixing up the place and doing awesome work in the back yard:) She cleared out a whole tree and a bunch of branches and things that were cluttering up the yard and it looks a million times better! She is such a trooper and I'm so proud of her. I just miss her and Porter. She said he's getting more affectionate and that it might be because he misses me and is worried about her going somewhere too. If it weren't for the seperation surrounding deployments I wouldn't mind them at all. I have the best job satisfaction ever when I'm deployed, but the lowest personal satisfaction from not being with my family. I'm pretty sure if you asked any Soldier, that would be the case. I just feel fortunate that I have not been over here for a year already like the majority of the guys in the Regiment. I was at least able to bond with my little boy so that he'll know me when I get back and we can hopefully pick up where we left off. There were so many new babies born while I was the Rear Detachment Commander who's fathers first time seeing them was for two weeks while they were home on leave, or who will see them for the first time when they get back to Fort Hood after the deployment. The only consolation I can think of is that it will ensure that they are there for the most developmental parts of their childs life since the first few months is not much more than pooping, peeing, sleeping and eating. Anyhow, this is a lengthy brain fart, so I'll check back with you all again later. Have a great Army day!

No comments: